All students are expected to dress in a manner that projects an appropriate image for the student, school and district while also feeling comfortable as they engage in the school environment.
This policy shall be upheld by KUSD staff as outlined in the staff dress code guidelines. If there is a disagreement between students and/or parents/guardians and staff regarding a dress code infraction, the principal will make the final determination.
Students wearing clothing that is in violation of the policy may be provided alternate clothing they can wear or they may contact their parent/guardian to bring them alternate clothing. If needed, the principal/designee may convene a conference with the student, parent/guardian and/or other staff to assist with compliance.
Refusal to comply with and/or repeated violations of this policy may lead to further disciplinary action.
Minimum clothing requirements:
- Tops, bottoms and shoes must be worn at all times unless required for class (e.g. removal of shoes for class project, etc.)
- Tops and bottoms must cover private body parts and undergarments (with the exception of bra straps) at all times
- Tops and bottoms that are see-through/ripped/torn in the covered areas outlined in the image to the right may be worn with an additional layer underneath
- Tops must have straps
- Tops may expose no more than 2 inches, or three fingers, worth of skin above bottoms
- Bottoms must cover ~3-4 inches in length on the upper thigh
- Elementary students must wear shoes that are secured to feet (i.e. no flip flops or slides)
- Hard-soled slippers are allowed (e.g. moccasins with a hard bottom, etc.)
- Headwear is allowable at the middle and high school levels ○ Staff reserve the right to ask students to adjust or remove hoods or hats for identification purposes, safety concerns, or to determine if earbuds are present ○ Hoods and hats must allow the face to be visible at all times
- Middle and high school students must have a school ID (card or digital) in their possession at all times and have it easily accessible during all school activities (e.g. academic, extra-curricular, co-curricular) to allow for easy identification by school staff as needed for safety purposes
Clothing that is not allowed:
- Clothing that contains pictures and/or writing referring to alcoholic beverages, tobacco products, sexual references, profanity, illegal drugs, bigoted epithets, harassment/hate messages, or messages of hostility toward race, ethnicity, religion or sexual orientation
- Clothing representing gangs or gang-related activity, including gang-related colors if for purposes of gang identification
- Non-prescription sunglasses while indoors
- Headwear that covers the face, except those worn as a religious observance or for medical reasons
Exceptions to these rules shall be communicated by building leaders for special events, such as prom, homecoming, spirit days, field trips, etc.
The dress code information above is part of KUSD Policy 5431 – Student Dress Code (PDF).