Tremper Battle of the Books
Welcome to a fun & learning intensive experience! BOB is a statewide reading challenge. Students read books deeply so that they retain information about plot, character, theme, setting, and other elements.
What is Battle of the Books?
~20 book high school list for students to read and discuss
~A Moodle site for students & advisors to practice and share ideas
~A culminating statewide, online “battle” to find the teams who know the books the best
How do we prepare and compete?
~Weekly Meetings Fridays @11 on Google Meet via the Classroom
~Students read, read, read!
~Practice on the Moodle site (all questions are in the following format: Q: In what book does a boy find out he is the son of powerful wizards? A: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone by J.K. Rowling)
Why do we have a Tremper BOB team?
~To build love of reading
~To encourage students to read books they might not have chosen
~To engage students in an academic competition
~To connect schools and teachers across the state
~To have fun!
Important 2020-21 Dates
- *Weekly Meetings (Fridays @11am)
- October–Submit and choose designs for T-shirts
- ???–Pizza Sales Fundraiser
- December 1–Questions released to Advisors & asap to students via Moodle
- Thursday, January ?? (after finals)–BOB Read-in at Bradford HS
- February ?? to ??–Final Practice Battle open
- February (Last Week)–Final Team of students take the online battle quiz
- March ?–Last day to submit any question challenges
- March ?–Winners contacted by WEMTA BOB committee
- March ??–Last day to help select titles (via survey) for the 2022 book list.
- ***Suggest book titles for 2022 battle book list through Moodle ALL YEAR LONG!
- June 1–New 2022 Book List Released!