KUSD’s Virtual Backpack provides an outlet for community organizations to share events, activities and resources with our families in one easy to access location. Schools also have a link to this information on their websites and in school newsletters so families may easily access this information.
Organizations wanting to add an item to the Virtual Backpack should review the procedures and Board Policy 1520 prior to submitting requests as outlined. Inclusion on the list shall not be construed as an endorsement or approval of the materials by the district. Recognizing the primary mission of the district is to meet the educational needs of its students, the district reserves the right to deny requests. Materials and/or activities below are not sponsored by KUSD or its personnel.
Asthma Care Program
-posted May 20, 2022
- The Asthma Care Program is a FREE program at Kenosha County Public Health that provides people with asthma with self-management education and a home walkthrough to identify asthma triggers and ways to reduce them. Participants are also gifted asthma-friendly cleaning supplies and bedding upon completion of the program. The goal is to empower people with asthma to learn more skills to reduce their asthma symptoms and be their healthiest selves.
- May is Asthma Awareness Month, so there is no better time to learn more about how to take control of your asthma!
We are hosting a virtual information session so families can learn more about the program.
May 26 at 10-10:45 a.m.
Families can register at https://www.signupgenius.com/go/5080C44A4AF2CABF49-asthma.
- Asthma Education Services – English (PDF)
- Asthma Education Serivices – Spanish (PDF)
- Asthma Care Program Fact Sheet – English (PDF)
- Asthma Care Program Fact Sheet – Spanish (PDF)
- Kenosha County Asthma Care website
Girl Scouts Pop-Up Event – June 11
-posted May 17, 2022
- Free fun for parents and girls! Join us to learn about our safe, no-limits program designed specifically for girls, where they’re inspired to seek out new challenges, build important skills, and take the lead.
- June 11, 2022. 10-11:30 a.m.
- Woodhaven Service Center. 2303 37th St. Kenosha, WI
More information: Girl Scouts Outdoor Pop-Up Event flyer (PDF)
Brewers Baseball Camp – August 15-19
-posted May 12, 2022
- The Brewers Baseball/Softball Academy is back for a 10th season at Pleasant Prairie RecPlex.
- Camps are open to boys and girls ages 6 to 14.
- Each camp runs Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- The price for the week-long camp is $405. Sign up with a friend and both save $20.
Sylvan Learning Summer Program
-posted May 12, 2022
- Avoid Summer Learning Loss – Make Sylvan Part of Your Summer Schedule.
- Students can lose as much as 2.5 months of learning over the summer.
- Sylvan will pinpoint the skills your child needs and develop a summer program to help master them.
- Flexible summer hours.
Building Our Future Presents: Community Conversations about Housing
-posted May 11, 2022
Attention Wilson, Brass and Lincoln Families: Please join us for the three part series to discuss housing in our neighborhoods.
- Where: Brass Community School
- Time: 6-8 p.m. (Doors open at 5:30 p.m.)
- Part 1: Wednesday, April 27
- Part 2: Wednesday, May 18
- Part 3: Wednesday, June 15
- Pizza and Childcare will be provided
- Community Conversations about Housing flyer – English (PDF)
- Community Conversations about Housing flyer – Spanish (PDF)
Cooking With Chef Kyle, Jr. Edition – May 26
-posted May 11, 2022
Join us for another exciting cooking opportunity with KUSD’s very own Chef Kyle Rudin on Thursday, May 26, beginning at 6:30 pm. Third, fourth, and fifth grade students and their families are invited to join us for this virtual event, where participants will be mixing and baking their own “Kooky Cookies” creations! All participating families will receive a recipe kit with all required ingredients. Spots are limited, so sign up now!
Únase a nosotros para otra emocionante oportunidad de cocinar con el propio Chef Kyle Rudin de KUSD el jueves 26 de mayo a partir de las 6:30 p. m. ¡Los estudiantes de tercer, cuarto y quinto grado y sus familias están invitados a unirse a nosotros en este evento virtual, donde los participantes mezclarán y hornearán sus propias creaciones de “Kooky Cookies”! Todas las familias participantes recibirán un kit de recetas con todos los ingredientes necesarios. Espacios son limitados, ¡así que regístrate ahora!
More information: Cooking With Chef Kyle flyer (PDF)
Tuition-Free Tech Training – Free, Full-Time Web Dev Course
-posted May 9, 2022
- Jockey International, Inc. and LaunchCode have partnered to teach people practical tech skills at an accelerated pace and in a supportive environment.
- LaunchCode is now offering our free Immersive Web Development course to individuals living in the Kenosha area with classes starting virtually on July 5.
- JOIN US FOR AN IN PERSON INFO SESSION at Jockey’s headquarters, featuring representatives from LaunchCode and Jockey, Thursday, May 19, 2022 @ 5:00 PM CDT. RSVP at bit.ly/kenosha-info-session
- Learn more and apply by June 10 at LaunchCode.org/Kenosha
- Este programa solo está ofrecido en inglés en este momento.
More information: LaunchCode Web Development Course flyer (PDF)
Water Safety Coloring Contest
-posted May 6, 2022
May is National Water Safety Month and the Kenosha Community Sailing Center is hosting this coloring contest to promote water safety in our community. We are a non-profit that teaches youth and adults the sport of sailing, water safety and conservation. We are organized for charitable, scientific and educational purposes.
- PRIZES: Prizes for all age categories: Basket of age-appropriate water toys and Kenosha Community Sailing Center gift certificate to be used towards sailing courses, programs or rentals (duck pedal boats, kayaks and SUPs). Retail value: $50. Ages categories: 4-6yrs, 7-10yrs, 11-13yrs, 14-16yrs, 17-adult.
- ENTRY: Please submit your coloring page by June 30, 2022 to enter our contest. Our mailing address is Kenosha Community Sailing Center, P.O. Box 123, Kenosha WI 53141 or send it electronically to email@example.com. For more Kenosha coloring pages, visit www.ColorofKenosha.com. Artwork will not be returned and may be used for promotional purposes. Please include your name, email, address and age.
Mental Health Matters: Identify. Understand. Overcome. – May 25
-posted May 3, 2022
Parents, caregivers, staff, and community members are invited to attend “Mental Health Matters: Identify. Understand. Overcome.” an upcoming presentation sponsored by KUSD’s Community School Relations Office. This program will feature professionals from both Advocate Aurora Health and KUSD discussing common mental health concerns, tips on how and when to seek help, and providing other resources for students and families. The program will take place on Wednesday, May 25, 2022, beginning at 6:30 p.m. in the Mahone Middle School Auditorium (6900 60th Street) Registration is strongly encouraged by clicking here. Questions can be emailed to Engage@kusd.edu
More information: Mental Health Matters flyer (PDF)
2022-23 KUSD Theater Auditions
-posted May 2, 2022
Open to all incoming 9th – 12th graders. Please sign up for an audition time at one of the following locations:
- Tuesday, May 17: 4-8:30 p.m. at Bradford High School
- Tuesday, May 24: 4-8:30 p.m. at Harborside Academy
- Tuesday, May 31: 4-8:30 p.m. at Indian Trail High School
More information: Theater Auditions flyer (PDF)
Camp Invention – June 20-24
-posted April 29, 2022
- Camp Invention® is for children entering grades 1st-6th.
- Register at INVENT.ORG/CAMP or 800-968-4332
- Location: All Saints Catholic School, 4400 22nd Ave, Kenosha, WI 53140
- Date: June 20 – 24, 2022
- Time & Cost: 9:00 AM to 3:30 PM | $255 (before discount)
- Camp Director: Laura Boles | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Camp Invention flyer – English & Spanish (PDF)
- Explore a Typical Day – English (PDF)
- Explore a Typical Day – Spanish (PDF)
Bradford Golf Outing – Aug. 1
-posted April 8, 2022
- Bradford High School is hosting a golf outing on Monday, August 1, 2022 at The Club at Strawberry Creek.
- This golf outing is being held to raise funds and support Bradford High School Programs.
- Golf: $175 per golfer (Early Bird Special: $150 before June 15) includes 18 holes of golf with cart, lunch, gifts, and hole events.
- All event attendees must be 21 years old.
Youth As Resources (YAR)
– posted April 1, 2022
- Attention current 8th-11th graders! A fun way to achieve your community service hours!
- YAR is a grant-giving program run by a board composed of youth and adults, which funds youth-designed, youth-led community service projects in Kenosha County.
- Develop Leadership Skills
- Meet New Friends
- Award Grants to Youth Service Projects
- Help the Community
- As a YAR Board member, you will have one meeting a month (September-May) on the 3rd Tuesday at 5:00pm. The deadline to apply is Sunday, April 10, 11:59pm, 2022.
- About YAR – English (PDF)
- About YAR – Spanish (PDF)
- YAR Board Information Flyer – English (PDF)
- YAR Board Information Flyer – Spanish (PDF)
- YAR Board Member Application – English (PDF)
- YAR Board Member Application – Spanish (PDF)
Summer Jobs at Kenosha Country Club
-posted March 18, 2022
- 2022 Caddy Program – English (PDF) – Training starts April 2
- 2022 Caddy Program – Spanish (PDF) – Training starts April 2
- Busser & Server – English (PDF)
- Busser & Server – Spanish (PDF)
- Lifeguard – English (PDF)
- Lifeguard – Spanish (PDF)
Youth CommUNITY Conversation
-reposted March 17, 2022
Calling all Kenosha youth – let your voice be heard! Come help create the change you want to see.
Herzing University, 5800 7th Ave.
- May 25
Doors open at 4 p.m. and convo starts at 4:30 p.m.
- Refreshments provided
- Masks optional
Nike Basketball Camp at Pleasant Prairie RecPlex
-posted Feb. 23. 2022
- SUMMER: August 1-4 | $315
- AGE GROUP: 8-14
- GENDER: Coed
2022 Summer Youth Recreation Programs
– posted Feb. 21, 2022
- Supervised Playgrounds
- Tennis Instruction
- Elementary Baseball/Softball Instruction
- Elementary Basketball Instruction
- Elementary Soccer Instruction
- Weight Training
More information: Summer Youth Recreation Registration Information
Summer Jobs with the Recreation Department
– posted Feb. 21, 2022
We are looking for people to work in our 6–7 week summer programs. Applicants must be at least 18. College students & graduating seniors proficient in the program are welcome to apply.
Anderson Arts Center CREATIVE CLASSES
- Part of the Kemper Center campus, offers classes in art, music and dance for all ages, all year round!
- Art Gallery and Gift Shop OPEN for free admission, Tuesdays-Sundays 1 to 4 p.m. Call ahead for schedule.
- Location: 6603 3rd Avenue, Kenosha. Telephone: 262-653-0481, Website: andersonartscenter.com
- Latest Updates & Special Events Information found on Anderson’s Facebook page.
Boys & Girls Club of Kenosha
Each child attending the Club needs a membership. Memberships are $20 per child per year or $30 per family per year.
The fee is waived for all teen members (ages 13-18). Program areas of focus include education, leadership,
recreation, health and life skills. A healthy meal or snack is served daily.
- Troha Youth Center & Tween Center
- Ages 6-9 and 10-12
- Teen Center
- Ages 13-18
- Laken Family Jefferson Elementary Extension
- Age 6 and up
- BGC Sports
- BGC Sports (part of Boys & Girls Club of Kenosha) offers youth sport leagues and
clinics to kids ages 4 – 18. Adult leagues are also run in select sports.
- BGC Sports (part of Boys & Girls Club of Kenosha) offers youth sport leagues and
- Boys & Girls Club Information Flyer (PDF)
- Boys & Girls Club of Kenosha website
Bright by Text
- Bright by Text sends free activities, games, and resources right to your cell phone. Messages are targeted to
your child’s age and include information on child development, language and early literacy, health and
safety, behavioral tips, and more!
- Bright by Text is for anyone who cares for and loves a child between the ages of 0 and 8 – parents,
grandparents, babysitters, aunties, uncles, neighbors, friends, teachers, and more.
- Sign up for Bright by Text
Building Our Future
Kindergarten Readiness Brochures
Whether you are a concerned citizen, business leader, educator, parent, or community volunteer, please consider donating your time, talents, or treasure to help make a difference in the lives of every child, from cradle to career. Complete this form to get involved and learn more today!
Let’s Get Your Child Ready for Kindergarten!
You might be surprised to learn that being ready for kindergarten doesn’t mean teaching your child math and reading. Rather, your child is ready for kindergarten when they have developed a love of learning and are curious to learn new things. Helping your child prepare for kindergarten will help them have a more positive and successful experience in school. In this video, explore how you can help your child succeed in kindergarten – and beyond!
¡Preparemos a Su Hijo(a) para el Jardín de Niños!
Quizás le sorprenda saber que estar preparado(a) para el jardín de niños no significa enseñar a su hijo(a) matemáticas y lectura. Más bien, su hijo(a) estará listo(a) para el jardín de niños cuando haya desarrollado un amor por el aprendizaje y muestre curiosidad por aprender cosas nuevas. Ayudar a su niño(a) a prepararse para el jardín de niños le ayudará a tener una experiencia más positiva y exitosa en la escuela.
Interested in Cub Scouting? Join today.
- Pick a Cub Scout Pack to join at BEASCOUT.ORG
- If you have any questions, please contact Mary Kveton, Red Arrow District Executive at Mary.Kveton@Scouting.org
Education Foundation of Kenosha
Seeking Board Members
- The Education Foundation of Kenosha was organized in 1980 to support the Kenosha Unified School District and its
mission. The Foundation has financed a wide range of educational and enrichment projects not able to be funded
through the District’s normal budgetary allotments.
- The Board raises and administers funds to support:
- College scholarships for Kenosha K-12 students
- Classroom grants to support K-12 teachers
- Attend four board meetings per year
- Promote and attend fundraising events
- Participate on one subcommittee
- INTERESTED? Send your resume and a letter of interest to Stacy Busby at email@example.com or 3600 52nd St.,
Kenosha, WI 53144
- Learn more about the EFK at educationfoundationkenosha.org
Even Start Family Literacy Program
Need Help with English? Want to Learn English?
For families who reside in the Kenosha Unified School District attendance area.
- Adult education provides parents with basic skills, including English, life skills and the opportunity to earn a high school credential.
- Parent education provides parents with a wide variety of learning topics, including parenting strategies, how to be advocates and role models for their children and strategies to support their children’s learning.
Everything Under the Sun
A youth and family activity guide of things to do in the Kenosha area.
- Families with FoodShares benefits: Use your EBT card at Kenosha HarborMarket and Westosha Market
- More information
Great Lakes Surf Rescue Project – Water Safety Resources
The Great Lakes Surf Rescue Project, Inc. (GLSRP) is a nonprofit 501c3 corporation that is about saving lives through water safety advocacy and drowning survival strategies.
Kenosha Community Health Center
High-quality, affordable health care for all. Visit KCHC online.
Back to School Annual Physical Appointments
Kenosha Public Library
- We offer tons of free activities for children, adults, and families all year round!
- KPL website event calendar