- The KUSD recognizes that healthy, nutritious meals are an important component to student readiness and ability to learn.
- In addition, Title 7, Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), Part 210.10(a)(1) General Nutrition Requirements states “Schools must provide nutritious and well-balanced meals to all the children they serve.” In accordance with this regulation, the KUSD will not deny any student access to school lunch.
- By statue, the district’s Food Service Department is a self-supporting fund that shall not have a negative balance at the close of a fiscal year.
- Unpaid charges place a financial strain on the district’s operating budget.
- To be fair and equitable and in order to ensure compliance of all who participate in the school meal program, the proce-dures establish methods of payment and charge availability.
- The KUSD procedures establish the following:
- Establish consistent district procedures regarding the method of payment for meals and charge availability for charges in the district’s meal program.
- To treat all students with dignity at all times
- To provide free meals for all students who qualify for free meals.
- To provide reduced priced meals for all students who qualify for reduced meals.
Meal Charge Procedures
Elementary School Students
- Allowed to accrue a negative balance of negative (-)$5.00.
- Once the negative limit is met, a la carte milk will not be available for purchase.
- Negative Balance Notices are sent when account balances go into the negative. Notices are printed each Tuesday afternoon and distributed to schools on Wednesday morning to be sent home.
- If an account balance is greater than negative (-)$5.00, students are still allowed to eat breakfast and lunch but will not be able to purchase a la carte items, including milk.
Middle & High School Students
- Not allowed to accrue a negative balance.
- Students must have money in their meal account to purchase a la carte or extra meal items. Students may still get a breakfast and lunch provided it is a complete meal.
- Online Payment at MySchoolBucks. Choose from:
- One time funding
- Smart-Pay: Automatically adds money to an account when they reach a certain dollar amount as determined by the parent. Notified by email when balance is getting low and a payment is going to be made. *Remember to check your credit card expiration date*
- One time funding
- Send money to school.
- Send money to:
Educational Support Center
Food Service Central Office
3600 52nd St
Kenosha, WI 53144
For clarification on the School Meal Charge Procedures, please call the Food Service Department at 262-359-6382