KUSD's Virtual Backpack provides an outlet for community organizations to share events, activities and resources with our families in one easy to access location. Schools also have a link to this information on their websites and in school newsletters so families may easily access this information.
Organizations wanting to add an item to the Virtual Backpack should review the procedures and Board Policy 1520 prior to submitting requests as outlined. Inclusion on the list shall not be construed as an endorsement or approval of the materials by the district. Recognizing the primary mission of the district is to meet the educational needs of its students, the district reserves the right to deny requests. Materials and/or activities below are not sponsored by KUSD or its personnel.
26th Annual Kindness Week - Jan.14–22, 2022
“Spreading Dr. King’s Message of Kindness in Kenosha County”
- Organized by the Coalition for Dismantling Racism
- During Kindness Week and throughout the year we encourage you to spread Dr. King’s message of kindness in Kenosha by donating non-perishable items to a food pantry and/or homeless shelter.
- Kindness Week Event Schedule (PDF)
- Join 4-H! 4-H empowers youth, ages 5-19, through hands-on learning.
- Archery, clothing, fishing, foods, Legos, photography, rocketry, small animals, large animals, leadership, service, summer camp, travel, new friends, and more!
- 4-H Flier - English
- 4-H Flier - Spanish
- For more information on how to join, or to attend an upcoming information session, go to www.kenoshacounty4h.org
Adult Day Services - Easterseals
Easterseals Adult Day Service is designed to preserve independence, increase socialization, and enhance the quality of life of our participants and their caregivers. Choosing the right day program can be challenging; Easterseals is here to support and welcome you into one of our Adult Day programs.
To make a referral or to request additional information, please contact Rachel Simon, Respite Services Manager at (414) 550-2790.
Anderson Arts Center CREATIVE CLASSES
- Part of the Kemper Center campus, offers classes in art, music and dance for all ages, all year round!
- Art Gallery and Gift Shop OPEN for free admission, Tuesdays-Sundays 1 to 4 p.m. Call ahead for schedule.
- Location: 6603 3rd Avenue, Kenosha. Telephone: 262-653-0481, Website: andersonartscenter.com
- Latest Updates & Special Events Information found on Anderson’s Facebook page.
Before and After School Program at RecPlex
The RecPlex Before and After School Program provides transportation to and from school, as well as wide variety of activities for children to do before and after school including: gym games, outdoor play, swimming, arts and crafts and more!. The RecPlex also provides mid-day pick up for children attending K4 classes for only half the day.
Boys & Girls Club of Kenosha
Each child attending the Club needs a membership. Memberships are $20 per child per year or $30 per family per year. The fee is waived for all teen members (ages 13-18). Program areas of focus include education, leadership, recreation, health and life skills. A healthy meal or snack is served daily.
- Troha Youth Center & Tween Center
- Ages 6-9 and 10-12
- Teen Center
- Ages 13-18
- Laken Family Jefferson Elementary Extension
- Age 6 and up
- BGC Sports
- BGC Sports (part of Boys & Girls Club of Kenosha) offers youth sport leagues and clinics to kids ages 4 - 18. Adult leagues are also run in select sports.
- Boys & Girls Club information flier (PDF)
- Boys & Girls Club of Kenosha website
Bright by Text
- Bright by Text sends free activities, games, and resources right to your cell phone. Messages are targeted to your child’s age and include information on child development, language and early literacy, health and safety, behavioral tips, and more!
- Bright by Text is for anyone who cares for and loves a child between the ages of 0 and 8 - parents, grandparents, babysitters, aunties, uncles, neighbors, friends, teachers, and more.
- Sign up for Bright by Text
Building Our Future
Kindergarten Readiness Brochures
Whether you are a concerned citizen, business leader, educator, parent, or community volunteer, please consider donating your time, talents, or treasure to help make a difference in the lives of every child, from cradle to career. Complete this form to get involved and learn more today!
Let's Get Your Child Ready for Kindergarten!
You might be surprised to learn that being ready for kindergarten doesn't mean teaching your child math and reading. Rather, your child is ready for kindergarten when they have developed a love of learning and are curious to learn new things. Helping your child prepare for kindergarten will help them have a more positive and successful experience in school. In this video, explore how you can help your child succeed in kindergarten - and beyond!
¡Preparemos a Su Hijo(a) para el Jardín de Niños!
Quizás le sorprenda saber que estar preparado(a) para el jardín de niños no significa enseñar a su hijo(a) matemáticas y lectura. Más bien, su hijo(a) estará listo(a) para el jardín de niños cuando haya desarrollado un amor por el aprendizaje y muestre curiosidad por aprender cosas nuevas. Ayudar a su niño(a) a prepararse para el jardín de niños le ayudará a tener una experiencia más positiva y exitosa en la escuela.
Career Pathways Academy
Students from Brass, EBSOLA-Creative Arts, Frank, Jefferson, Grewenow, and Southport Elementary and Lincoln and Washington Middle Schools can register for our activities at no cost.
- ACADEMIC ENRICHMENT (Adapted Learning)
- STUDY SKILLS
- RUNNIN’ FORCE BASKETBALL CLUB (RFBC) & ACTIVITIES
- To learn all that we can offer, please visit our website at www.cpakenosha.org
- Registration and program information:
Children's Wisconsin Urgent Care
- Walk-in Pediatric Urgent Care from Children's Wisconsin (formerly Children' Hospital of Wisconsin) available in Kenosha 9 a.m. to 9 p.m., seven days a week.
- Children's Wisconsin Urgent Care Brochure (PDF)
COVID-19 Vaccinations for Children Ages 5-11
We are sharing this flyer that outlines Kenosha County Public Health’s upcoming COVID-19 vaccination clinics for children ages 5 and over to be held at the Kenosha County Job Center, 8600 Sheridan Road, on Nov. 11 and 12. KUSD does not require vaccines for students, but is sharing this for those who may be interested in the upcoming clinics. Please see the flyer below for more details.
Interested in Cub Scouting? Join today.
- Pick a Cub Scout Pack to join at BEASCOUT.ORG
- If you have any questions, please contact Mary Kveton, Red Arrow District Executive at Mary.Kveton@Scouting.org
- Information flier
Education Foundation of Kenosha
Seeking Board Members
- The Education Foundation of Kenosha was organized in 1980 to support the Kenosha Unified School District and its mission. The Foundation has financed a wide range of educational and enrichment projects not able to be funded through the District's normal budgetary allotments.
- The Board raises and administers funds to support:
- College scholarships for Kenosha K-12 students
- Classroom grants to support K-12 teachers
- Attend four board meetings per year
- Promote and attend fundraising events
- Participate on one subcommittee
- INTERESTED? Send your resume and a letter of interest to Stacy Busby at firstname.lastname@example.org or 3600 52nd St., Kenosha, WI 53144
- Learn more about the EFK at educationfoundationkenosha.org
Even Start Family Literacy Program
Need Help with English? Want to Learn English?
For families who reside in the Kenosha Unified School District attendance area.
- Adult education provides parents with basic skills, including English, life skills and the opportunity to earn a high school credential.
- Parent education provides parents with a wide variety of learning topics, including parenting strategies, how to be advocates and role models for their children and strategies to support their children’s learning.
Everything Under the Sun
A youth and family activity guide of things to do in the Kenosha area.
- Families with FoodShares benefits: Use your EBT card at Kenosha HarborMarket and Westosha Market
- More information
Free Classes to Learn English at Gateway
- Gateway's ELL program offers instruction in reading, vocabulary, writing, grammar, listening and speaking.
- Classes meet two days a week.
- You must be at least 18 years old.
- Gateway ELL Information Flyer (PDF)
Animal Dance Party - Jan. 26
- For Kindergarten Girls
- Bring a friend, make new ones, and get WILD on the dance floor with GIRL SCOUTS—it’s all FREE!
- January 26, 2022, 6:00-7:00 PM at Nash Elementary Library
- RSVP: Animal Dance Party Flyer (PDF)
Great Lakes Surf Rescue Project - Water Safety Resources
The Great Lakes Surf Rescue Project, Inc. (GLSRP) is a nonprofit 501c3 corporation that is about saving lives through water safety advocacy and drowning survival strategies.
Kenosha Community Health Center
High-quality, affordable health care for all. Visit KCHC online.
Back to School Annual Physical Appointments
Kenosha Public Library
- We offer tons of free activities for children, adults, and families all year round!
- KPL website event calendar
Lake Behavioral Hospital - Mental Health and Substance Abuse Treatment
- Adolescents, adults, seniors, specialized women's program
- No-cost confidential assessments
- 844-980-9000 - available 24/7
- Lake Behavioral Hospital website
- Information flier
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program - Student Volunteers Needed
- Help get money back into the hands of Kenosha residents.
- No experience necessary.
- For more information visit www.kenoshaunitedway.org/vita
- VITA flyer - English
- VITA flyer - Spanish
Youth As Resources (YAR)
The "Youth As Resources" Board is composed of local high school students and adults who meet monthly to listen to 3 minute community service project presentations by K-12 youth and divvy out grants of up to $500 to fund these projects. Any team of two or more youth living in Kenosha County may apply. All you need is a great idea, an adult sponsor to support you, and a local organization or school to apply with!
|Boys & Girls Club of Kenosha||boys-girls-club.pdf|
|Children's Wisconsin Urgent Care||childrens-urgent-care.pdf|
|Everything Under the Sun||everything-under-the-sun.pdf|
|Easterseals Adult Day Services||easterseals-adult-day-services.pdf||easterseals-adult-day-services-sp.pdf|
|Gateway ELL Classes||gateway-ell.pdf|
|Kenosha Community Health Center||kchc.pdf|
|KCHC - Dental||KCHCBGCKDentalEnglish-8-5x11.pdf||KCHCBGCKDentalSpanish-8-5x11.pdf|
|KCHC - Physicals||KCHCBGCKPhysicalEnglish-11x17.pdf||KCHCBGCKPhysicalSpanish-11x17.pdf|
|KCHC - Sports Physicals||KCHCBGCKSportsPhysicalsEnglish-8-5x11.pdf||KCHCBGCKSportsPhysicalSpanish_8-5x11.pdf|
|KCHC - Prescriptions||KCHCPrescriptionEnglish_8-5x11.pdf||KCHCPrescriptionSpanish_8-5x11.pdf|
|KCHC - Student Immunizations||KCHCImmunizationsEnglish_8-5x11.pdf||KCHCImmunizationsSpanish_8-5x11.pdf|