Harborside Academy is a charter school for grades 6 through 12, located in Kenosha, Wisconsin.
- Strong emphasis on service learning and community service. Students earn well over 100 hours of community service and complete their own service project before reaching graduation.
- Habit of Success traits, which include, tenacity, integrity, leadership, respect, humor and cooperation, are emphasized and reflected upon daily.
- Curriculum is restructured and designed into expeditions to engage students in learning through expert speakers and fieldwork, but can take place outside of the classroom and be experienced first-hand.
- Students attend daily Crew, a class designed to feel like family and develop a strong, caring group that provides support and assistance to one another. Our motto is “We are Crew.”
- A nationally recognized credentialed mentor school in EL Education for the implementation of the Core Practices model, which develops students in three areas of achievement: Academics, Character, and High Quality Work.
The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and their “Delta Project” decided to fund a new high school, one of 20 new high schools throughout the country, in Kenosha.
Harborside Academy, like all schools that are a part of the Delta Project, uses the Expeditionary Learning Outward Bound (ELOB) model. ELOB schools combine rigorous academic content and real world projects — learning expeditions — with active learning and community service.
In 2012, Harborside Academy merged with Paideia Academy, a charter middle school.
What Makes Harborside Unique?
- It is research based
- A joint emphasis on character and academics
- A high quality, program for professional development
- Focus on Character and an Ethic of Service
- Continuing relationships with a growing system of schools around the country
- Quality control in place
- Learning Intensives
- Outward Bound
- Engaging Instruction
- All students are college bound