Reuther Central High School was named after Walter Reuther, a nationally noted labor leader in the 1930s, ‘40s and ‘50s. The original Reuther Central High School was started in the newly purchased UW Extension Center located at 39th Avenue and Washington Road. The Walter Reuther Central High School was designed as a magnet school for alternative education. In 1979, upon completion of the addition and remodeling at this site, the students and faculty of Reuther Central High School took up residence in the former Mary D. Bradford High School located on Sheridan Road and 57th Street. This classic limestone structure was built between 1924 and 1927. It is one of the structures comprising Kenosha’s civic center area, including the Kenosha Public Museum and Kenosha County Courthouse. At the same time in 1979, the students of the former Mary D. Bradford High School took up residence in the newly completed Bradford High School located at 39th Avenue and Washington Road. Since that time, Reuther Central High School has undergone several changes to accommodate curriculum and their style of teaching. A major remodeling project was completed in 1993 at an approximate cost of $3,500,000.