School History


On April 4, 1962, a proposal was made to the School Board for the construction of a new elementary school to serve the expanding west side area of Kenosha. January of 1965 was the target date set for the opening of the school.

However, the use of portable buildings and crowded conditions at Wilson and McKinley Elementary Schools made it necessary to begin construction earlier. Building of the $500,000 school began in May of 1963. One year later, students and faculty welcomed the move into the new facility.

In October of 1962, the name Curtis A. Strange Elementary School was selected. Born in 1894, Curtis Strange came to Kenosha in 1920. From 1930 through 1943, he served as principal of Bain and Weiskopf Elementary Schools. In 1943, he was named principal of McKinley Junior High School where he served until his death in 1952. In addition to his duties with the schools, Curtis Strange served as the president of Kenosha Family Services and as chairman of the Safety Council for many years.

On May 6, 1964, the school was dedicated with Mrs. Curtis (Letha) Strange as honored guest.