In the early 1950’s, over-crowded conditions existed at four schools in the townships of Pleasant Prairie and Somers. The growth of these areas served by the Dublin, Lamb, Sheridan Road, Springbrook, and Hannan Schools was expected to continue. In 1953, construction began on Prairie Lane Elementary School to accommodate the overflow of students. The original school consisted of four classrooms, a gymnasium, and other auxiliary rooms. A dedication ceremony for the new building was held on May 24, l954. Student populations served were grades 6, 7, and 8.
Unanticipated population growth in the district made it necessary to construct the additions to Prairie Lane Elementary School in 1957 and l961. Additional classrooms, a library, a kitchen and dining room, an enlarged stage area, and showers expanded the original four-room school to 19 rooms housing grades kindergarten through eight. With the new, larger school in the district, the Dublin, Lamb, Sheridan Road, Springbrook, and Hannan Schools eventually closed their doors.
The seventh and eighth grades were disbanded in l965 when Prairie Lane School was absorbed into the Kenosha Unified School District.