Parent Leadership Academy
- July 10 - Aug. 1 at Wesley Methodist Church (PDF)
- Sept. 24 - Oct. 29 at Grant Elemenary School & Sept. 26 - Oct. 31 at Harvey Elementary School
The Parent Leadership Academy is a six-week workshop that gives parents the opportunity to explore how to stay involved in their child’s education. Ongoing research shows that family engagement in schools improves student achievement, reduces absenteeism, and restores parents' confidence in their children's education. Students with involved parents or other caregivers earn higher grades and test scores, have better social skills, and show improved behavior. The Parent Leadership Academy is implemented twice a year at each participating school location, and the sessions cover the following topics:
- Week one:
- Identify parents’ concerns regarding their child’s education
- Focus on the importance of parents building positive relationships with their child’s school
- Week two
- Share general knowledge, skills and advocacy strategies
- Discuss collaborative partnerships that benefit the parent network and students’ quality education
- Week three
- Explore parent role as an integral component of KUSD system
- Week four
- Discover how parent engagement is a two-way, meaningful communication between school, home, and community
- Week five:
- Study lessons designed for parents and their children on how to spend more time together and solve problems together
- Week six:
- Understand the powerful impact families have on their children’s school achievement and the importance of setting goals
- Work with educators to become engaged in their child’s education, academic achievement and higher learning.
Parents also will receive a certificate of completion after participating in all six sessions.
A six-week session is implemented at each of the different school sites on the same week during the fall semester from October to November. A second six-week session is implemented at each of two other school sites on the same week during the spring semester from April to May. During the 2017-18 school year, the academy implemented sessions at Brass Community School and Stocker Elementary School with 18 parent participants.
KUSD Coordinator of Diversity Student and Family Engagement