Kenosha Unified School District is a school district of 22,980 (Sept. 2011) students. The majority of the 3,114 students (Oct. 2011) in special education are served cross-categorically at their neighborhood school and services are provided based upon the level of need demonstrated and documented on the Individual Education Plan (IEP).
We provide a range of services for students with:
KUSD Autism Support Committee
- Autism (A) [?]
- Cognitive Disability (CD) [?]
- Emotional/Behavioral Disturbance (EBD) [?]
- Hearing Impairment (HI) [?]
- Orthopedic Impairment (OI) [?]
- Other Health Impairment (OHI) [?]
- Significant Developmental Delay (SDD) [?]
- Specific Learning Disability (SLD) [?]
- Speech or Language Impairment (SL) [?]
- Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) [?]
- Visual Impairment (VI) [?]
Educational programs exist for students with:
- Severe Cognitive Disabilities [?]
- Severe Emotional/Behavioral Disturbance [?]
- Hearing Impairment [?]
- Visual Impairment [?]
- Early Childhood [?]
Special education and related services are structured around the identified needs and services required by a sutdent's IEP. All services received by students must be within the context of a free appropriate public education (FAPE) in the least restrictive environment (LRE) as identified in the student's IEP. A continuum of least to most restrictive educational settings are available to special education students.
In addition Kenosha Unified also provides support to students with special needs through a variety of support personnel:
Special Education and Student Support priorities fall under Strategic Plan Strategies 4, 5, 6, and 7, identifying the necessity of promoting ethical and responsible behaviors on the part of students, as well as the district's need to work effectively with students impacted by social influences that interfere with their ability to achieve. Embracing our diverse student population, including students with disabilities, as well as using the most effective instructional strategies to enhance proficiency levels, are also clearly detailed in this guiding document.